Friday, June 09, 2006

Can you define me?

I had a great conversation with an old friend a couple of days ago and I not only miss him but also the way he thinks. I feel we are on the same page sometimes and lately I feel like I'm in a world of my own. We started talking about careers and how so many people think it defines them or they search out a job they think will define them. Now I personally had quite a bit of trouble with this for the longest time. I felt I needed to find a job, even if it meant going back to school, that somewhat defined a part of me. Why do so many of us do this? I know I know its society. Just think about it for a second though. How many people ask you what you do when you first meet them? If you say something like, 'I work at McDonalds' then they are probably going to give you a blank stare. If you say something like 'I'm a doctor' they give you this look like you ARE somebody. Then they usually go on to say "oh really that's wonderful. You save lives daily... incredible".

Our careers are really only a portion of our lives. Be it a large portion when you think of how much time you spend in your tiny jail cell cubicle. But honestly, so many other things define who I am and I really don't think I can simply be defined by one aspect. Sure I may hate my job, but I have so many other things worth talking about which are so much more interesting than my job or university degree. You have to be able to open your eyes and see the whole picture. So to add to the age-old quote - don't judge a book by it's cover, I will add, don't judge a person by their career.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

What a brillant blog... I have never thought about this idea until now, and I must say a big thanks for bringing some MUCH needed attention to this topic. Its sad that we are defining ourselves by what we are instead of who we are. I shall join your mission to change this!